Originally Posted By: DWallach
Most interesting is that AT&T is giving something of a grace period to let existing iPhone users upgrade even if their contract doesn't expire for another six months. Would you like a tasty new phone? Sure, it's still stuck to AT&T, but isn't it nice?

It is nice, and I can't possibly complain that they're doing that. I would, on the other hand, question what the purpose of the two year contract would be in that case. Why not make it 18 months for all phones?

Quote:
I just want to know what the next round of Android phones will be about. Certainly somebody's got something extra cool in works to compete with the iPhone 4. Right? Please?

This will be the most interesting question to me. The way I see it is that Apple has clearly grabbed victory. But I can't help but thinking it was almost from the jaws of defeat.

I do think that the rest of the industry is still behind Apple's hardware, but seeing the improvements they've made over the last year, I tend to think they're closing ground.

That said, the iPhone 4 is clearly the best specced phone on the market. I still have to have my Android phone, but I won't deny that the 4 is the best phone [hardware] out there.

*edit*
I just read my post over again, and I don't mean to come off so negative on the new iPhone. I honestly think it's extremely impressive. That screen resolution will be incredible, and it's great that they have HD video recording now. As usual, the build quality is astounding, and as they always do, the new industrial design somehow makes the old design look like poo. So no, I'm not sour on the new phone at all.

One thing I'm a tiny bit sour on is FaceTime. I think it's very neat, and I have no doubt it will work well, but to disagree with Steve, I don't think it will be revolutionary until its usable over cell networks. Also, did they mention if the front facing camera would be usable by other applications? Limiting video chat to only iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 blows.

*edit 2*
Interesting, "We're going to make FaceTime an open industry standard." That surprises me. That's certainly better than it could have been. I wonder how soon that would be able to spread to Windows, Android, and other platforms. If you could get a FaceTime app for the EVO, that would be pretty cool...

Edited by Dignan (07/06/2010 19:22)