I actually want the new iPhone, but I also don't care about the second camera - I've yet to use the built-in camera on my MBP in over a year of ownership. The thing holding me back, more than anything else, is the inability to go to an Apple store, drop $500 and pick up a fully unlocked device.

I simply won't sign a service contract with any of the three companies operating in Canada to get an iPhone. And even lawfully and ethically getting around the contracts (it's easy to do), you're still left with a locked device (even after having paid full price for it courtesy of an ETF or similar). I don't think one should have to jailbreak and unlock a phone via a hack after buying it outright.

It's about time we had legislation in place to prevent network lock-in for devices that have lapsed contracts or have been bought out.

Buying one in another country isn't a solution either, because unlike every other product Apple currently produces and sells, iPhone warranties are only valid in the country of sale. Ugh.