How do you access the maps you've downloaded in Offmaps if you don't also download the guide?

I've also just installed Galileo Offline maps which seems like it's more capable and can source maps from different providers. However, the process of generating those maps and compressing them must be done from a client app running on your Mac or PC - and it's remarkably slow. I have to take a better look at it to see if certain options can be set to speed up the compilation because the small region I defined the other night was going to take over 24 hours to complete.

I'm not fond of TomTom's software and there seem to be better alternatives available with both better navigation and better map presentation, including Navigon. Apple should really have thought ahead and snapped up one of the mapping/GIS companies instead of leaving the two biggest/well known to be scooped up by TomTom (TeleAtlas) and Nokia (NavTeq). Google now have their own data and Apple is left out in the cold when it comes to mapping/location, IMO.

All in all I'm finding that my early estimation of 9:1 crap:good is actually more like 1000:1. Usually even the good/best stuff has issues. Most people just write shite code and don't have high enough standards for design and quality.

Edited by hybrid8 (31/10/2010 16:47)