I think it's perfectly reasonable behavior to expect the demo to endlessly loop and not to be "quit" by accident seeing as the only possible use that I can think of it is as an "attraction mode" in a store, it's certainly not something you'd use in the normal course of operating a sat-nav device.

Recursive menus? I've certainly not come across these in normal use, so I'd imagine that nearly every other "average joe user" has managed to avoid them.

Personally, I like the "explicit" nature of the TomTom menus, if I want to navigate to a postcode, city or street there are explicit options to do so, navigon says "navigate to city" but allows you to enter a post code (zip).

The major reason for choosing TomTom over Navigon in the UK is the traffic information, TomTom obviously have an awful lot of PND devices which are sending information back home, coupled with the normal traffic data sources which they also use, it completely blows away all the other iPhone nav apps - but again, you pay for it, £22 a year vs £15 for a lifetime of navigon traffic.

You have to expect that where you and I may press more buttons and go deeper into menus and options, most users won't all they want to do is press the navigate button, enter their destination and drive away.