Bruno, you knew I was going to defend a Google product smile

I'm sorry but you're just going to have to take my word for it that Google Voice in general (I have no idea about that app), is in no way a "lame duck." I can't speak to GV Mobile+ but the service its self is fantastic. I use it daily, and it handles all calls to my business number and my cell number, both on the same phone.

I'm amazed how much you downplay the good features of the service, like the voicemail inbox. Maybe it's because you've used Apple/AT&T's visual voicemail, but I don't have access to it. What I do have is Google Voice which does it for free, presents it in a very simple layout that looks just like GMail, and allows me to archive all my messages. I only text using Google Voice, and can respond to people from my phone or computer (using the GV site or a Chrome extension). I can initiate a call directly from the inbox.

The following are some thoughts on the positive features of Google Voice, so there's a record of the good things about it that you either glossed over or didn't bother taking time to discover before dismissing it:

With my webcam's microphone, I can answer calls to my GV number directly on my computer. The call rings on my phone, but also on my desktop.

I can use GV for far cheaper international calls than my carrier charges (I don't use it, but others might).

When a call comes in on my GV line, I can record it with the press of a button (it alerts the caller of the recording), which is good when I'm driving, and the recording is saved in my inbox.

I've had a problem with sales calls in the past couple months. That is, until I remembered that I can easily block calls by going to my GV inbox and identifying it in the call log.

On a day to day basis, I use GV to let me carry the same phone for personal and business calls. For personal calls, I dial out with my cell phone number, and for business I dial out with my GV number (I'm given the choice when I place the call). This is actually less important to me these days because...

I've actually started using my GV number for all calls. The main reason this is possible is because I can assign personalized greetings for each caller or groups of callers. I didn't need to use my GV number for personal calls, but people started wanting to text me (I hate texting), and I don't have a plan with my carrier, so now I just tell people my GV number and I can text for free.

Related to the last two points, some time ago Google added the ability to use GV for your cell number in addition to your GV number. This let me take my carrier out of the loop entirely.

Lastly, I'm actually not the prime target for Google Voice. Initially, the idea of Grand Central (which Google purchased and turned into GV), was to give you two things:

1) a single phone number for all your current phones
2) the freedom to leave your other numbers. There's a few examples I can think of for this.

Those are the big features I can think of for the moment.

Also, why did you decide to try a 3rd party app for GV when the official one FINALLY made it through the ridiculous app store approval process about two weeks ago?

As for VOIP: you are right that Google Voice is not a VOIP service, and this is a strangely pervasive misconception. Every time I hear someone talking about installing it, they say something like "and now I can talk for free!" not understanding that it still uses their minutes. My hope is that one day they'll integrate Gizmo5 into the service, but that's probably far off...