digital surround (Dolby AC3 mostly) is finally gaining the foothold outside movie world

[disclaimer]I have never experienced surround sound, so in all likelihood I don't know what I am talking about here.[/disclaimer]

What's the deal with this surround sound idea? I thought the idea of a high-end stereo system was to emulate the experience of a live performance closely as possible. In IASCA competition, the goal is to have your stereo develop a "sound stage", located in front of you and at horizon height, the wider the better. Points are deducted for sound coming from behind, which makes it essential to be very careful in how you develop your rear fill and cross over your subs (assuming they are in the back of the car as is usually the case.)

I do not often sit in the woodwinds section of an orchestra during concerts, and am not convinced that this would be desirable from the point of view of hearing the music as it was meant to be heard.

I can see where surround sound would be highly effective in movies, in which the action and more importantly the sound source is always in motion, so at times it would be appropriate for the sound to come from behind. In the world of pure audio, however, these situations are rare.

Or am I overlooking something obvious here?

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"