Originally Posted By: mlord
In a crowded wifi environment, I would expect "wide channels" to accomplish little other than doubling/tripling the chances of interference, which then reduces speed.

I looked into it more, and it seems the Airport Extreme only runs wide channels on the 5ghz side. The checkbox didn't really indicate. Doing tests without wide channels, I'm still seeing 95-100mit performance over 5ghz, and the same ~70 on the 2.4 side.

Originally Posted By: mlord
Why do so many people use wifi, and why do they leave it powered on all of the time? Big waste of precious energy resources that.

In daily use, I have 4 devices that are WiFi only. My on call laptop from work (MacBook Air, though it could go wired with a USB adaptor), the iPad, the iPhone, and my Chumby alarm clock. The router offers no easy way to just turn wireless off and on again, and I need a 24/7 internet connection, so turning the device off all the time wouldn't be a workable solution. My router is also part of my power conservation strategy, as it allows me to keep my computer in sleep mode, and wake it when I need a resource on it via Wake on Demand. I'm all for energy conservation when possible, but not to an extreme where it also impacts my daily quality of life.