Mark, I definitely applaud your efforts, as you do go well beyond the norm that most first world people do. There is more everyone can do, but you have a much shorter list then most people. I think John (JBjorgen) has us all beat though, in his move out of North America into Central America and his new living arrangement. :-)

If my router had a scheduling option for WiFi, I'd use it, since none of the devices I have on WiFi need constant connectivity. As for my "need" for 24/7 connectivity, this comes from my use of the ReadyNAS at home. Beyond being one central file repository for everything at home (allowing the desktop to sleep or turn off instead of being a server), it's also used for offsite backups. This board, the rest of my VPS, and my grandparents pictures all get backed up to the same NAS hiding away in the closet. It's using green power drives at their default settings, allowing them to run slower and spin down when idle. I do this with the idea that using my already in use resources at home under my control is potentially better then using even more cloud hosting services elsewhere. I'll admit I haven't run numbers here to really quantify this, and if anyone has input, I'd be curious to hear it.

One advantage Austin did have over my current place of residence was a slightly more green power company. In Austin, about 20% of the power comes from renewable sources, and 16% comes from nuclear. I can't find a good breakdown for Southern California Edison, but they claim currently 17% from green sources, and also use nuclear from a nearby generator.

For anyone looking for a similar solution to Mark's (the relays that cut power when the computer is off), there are a number of UPS solutions that offer similar. They work by having a master socket to plug the computer into, then a number of marked outlets that will lose power when the master device turns off. The APC model I have also cuts power when the computer enters sleep, as it's seen as a big enough power drop that the UPS can tell the difference.