Originally Posted By: tonyc
The one thing I'm curious about -- do the regular FiOS STBs send output over multiple outputs (where one of the outputs is coax) at the same time? If so, I could locate the main multi-room DVR in our living room, put the regular STB in my game room, and then run coax from the STB in the game room up to our bedroom. Then, with a RF/IR remote extender, the signal from the regular STB would be available on the TV downstairs (over RCA or S-video) and upstairs (over the coax.) Would that work?

Honestly, I simply cannot remember if it outputs on multiple connections. I want to say that it does. However, I've never hooked one up with a coax output before, so I don't know if that's any different.

I've never used PiP. I'm curious, what do you use it for? I can see it being useful if you're switching your viewing between two channels, and want to know when the other one gets back from a commercial break. Personally, I tend to only watch one thing at a time, and I'd estimate that other than sports and awards shows, 99% of my TV watching is time-shifted, making PiP kind of impossible (or at least useless). Even when it comes to sports and awards shows, I'm usually watching on a delay if nobody else watching minds.

Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I've never been certain why some things are so slow on the Tivo UI. I would think that if you have a box capable of recording two HD streams while playing back a third, it would be more than capable of, for example, recalculating your recording schedule when you change the priority of a season pass (typically the slowest the Tivo ever gets).

Recording and playback don't use the CPU, but rely on dedicated silicon. A database operation though is going to hit the CPU - what's in there anyway?

Ah, wasn't aware that was how Tivo did it. Still, from what I'm reading, it's looking like Tivo hasn't turned on the dual-core functionality of their Premiere boxes' CPUs. There are lots of frustrated users out there.

Edited by Dignan (18/04/2011 21:11)