So, yeah, about the FiOS networking setup... I went through the process of making the FiOS modem/router into a bridge a long time ago due to the general crapitude of the FiOS Actiontec modem. It's not the worst I've ever seen, but it's not what I want being my main router, and the wifi strength is terrible (I've also since added 802.11n, which it lacks.)

Anyway, Verizon set-top boxes do not like being behind a non-standard router. If you do the bridge setup exactly right (the instructions for this are pretty tedious, far beyond what you'd normally assume would be necessary) you can get it to the point where the STBs can call out for guide data and view VOD, but with most of the setups, you really have to do serious hackery (such as adding a *third* router just to serve up a particular address to the FiOS router's WAN port, and telnetting into the FiOS router when it boots up to add a default route, which needs to be repeated each time it reboots) to get the remote DVR feature working.

It's all so needlessly complicated. I still haven't gotten the remote DVR thing working yet -- I'm not willing to give in and add a third router just to get it going, but I may have to. Definitely one of the more disappointing aspects of my switch so far.