Originally Posted By: hybrid8
What special setup is needed to use the one-click ordering?

In the US, all you do is go to your payment method and address, I think. Just go to your account and search the page for "click" or something and you'll find it. You have to choose an address and a credit card as your 1-click preference, and then you're set up from then on.

Quote:
And why does the non-one-click require half a million clicks and 6 pages?

Andy was mostly joking, but Amazon tends to design for the people who shop there often. For the majority of purchases I use the 1-click button, but sometimes I need to use a different credit card, so I'll just add something to my cart and go through the longer checkout process that asks me for all my preferences regarding the order.

Besides, it doesn't take that long to check out the normal way. It verifies the same stuff I see on most web checkouts, particularly for first-time visitors on other sites.

The one aspect of the Amazon website that has always annoyed me is the lack of ability to take a single step back. There's a terminology I'm not getting here, but the basic idea is like what you see on a site like Newegg, where if you're looking at a WRT54GL router, at the top of the listing there will be a series of narrowing categories, and you can click on just one to take a step back and see all the Linksys wireless routers, then one more to see all the wireless routers, then one more to see all the networking equipment, etc.