Originally Posted By: Dignan
That is genius. I do wish I had more ports in my home theater area. I now have my Tivo, Boxee Box, Google TV, and Vulkano (like the Slingbox) hooked up to the 8-port switch in my system, and it does add a bit of mess, takes up a power port, and uses power. Oh well, maybe in the next house smile

Hardly genius. Insanity, maybe. smile At least my electrician thought so. (but it was me who did all the work so he had no right to complain anyway smile )
If you ever get the chance to build your own house, I can strongly advise you to do this as well. You'll love the result, because it provides you an enormous amount of flexibility. You're almost as flexible with wired ethernet as you are with wireless. Very handy!

Originally Posted By: tanstaafl.

It sounds like you have a great setup.

Thanks, I agree, I'm very happy with it. But I had the luxury of being able to design it from the ground up. I realise most people are not so lucky.

Edit: here's a pic of the cabinet. You can see the patch panels are actually Cat6 and so are the used patch cables. Cat7 patch panels were not available a year ago, at least not at consumer prices. (are they today?) This Cat6 panel works just as well. The orange cable is real Cat7 cable. In that back of the cabinet, you can see I didn't cut the Cat7 exactly up to length but kept a few feet extra, in case I ever wanted to reposition the cabinet.

Edited by Archeon (08/10/2012 14:00)