Originally Posted By: tfabris
Originally Posted By: Taym
2. WD 1TB, 2TB and 3TB Green drives. Various subversions of them

Hm. I had two WD 2TB drives fail in quick succession in my Synology NAS recently. I wonder if there's something to this.

We've had threads on the board here discussing hard drive brand failure experiences. Every time I've had these sorts of talks with other people, the only conclusion I can make is that everyone has horror stories about every brand of hard drive. Personally, I've had two Seagate drives fail on me, so I went all WD and I've never had a problem with any of them. For some people it's the opposite. My Synology has never had anything but WD drives - both green and red - and none of them have failed (yet).

Originally Posted By: mlord
I don't know about the Drobo, but a problem with nearly all of the small "home sized" NAS units that I have seen, is they simply don't keep the drives cool enough. Fan or no fan, the airflow design is nearly non-existent.

So I would bet on overheating, leading to media errors (aka. "bad sectors").

What would you consider to be too hot for a NAS drive? According to my dashboard my drives are showing temps of 88, 90, 90 and 99 (not sure why one is so much higher). This is with the fan at an inaudible level (from where I'm sitting), but I could adjust it higher.