Originally Posted By: K447
Is that 93 degrees C or F ?

How are you measuring the Fahrenheit temperatures?

Lol, that would be way too hot. No, it's F. Apologies for jumping back and forth between the two. The dashboard reports both, and as someone who doesn't usually use Celsius, it's hard for me to stick to those units.

Originally Posted By: mlord
Exactly.

Exactly? What does that mean? You say they don't keep the drives cool enough. I say my drives seem pretty cool, but your reaction is...exactly? Huh?

Quote:
what does the drive firmware (S.M.A.R.T.) show as the maximum (ever) recorded temperature for those drives? That's the number you should be most interested in. Drives sitting idle don't get nearly as hot as those under heavy load stress.

That's definitely fair. Why didn't you just say that?

I've found where Synology reports some SMART info, but it seems incomplete, I don't see the value for historical max temp, and I'm not sure how to read it if I could.

Also, I'd argue a little about taking max temp as the most important number here. That tells me that one time the temperature reached a certain level, but that's an incomplete story. I certainly want to avoid whatever that max temp is, but what if it only ever got that hot once and never approached it again? What if the AC went out in my house during the summer and I forgot to turn off my NAS?

*edit*

Oh my god, I've only spent 5 minutes reading up on how to interpret the SMART temperature values, and my head is going to explode. I would have thought that this would be a pretty simple thing, but I'm seeing about four different formulas to convert the "worst" value to an actual temperature, and none of them make sense...

Edited by Dignan (08/07/2016 17:25)