Originally Posted By: altman

I wonder if anyone is prioritizing this though in their USB-C designs...

Edit: I made something of a hash of this on the first go round, was working from memory while sitting in an airport departure lounge. No excuse, that.

Changes have been made.

I will posit that the original MacBook (no suffix) with a single USB-C port threw a real wrinkle in the process.

The very slender MacBook 'one port' has an oddball USB-C port. No Thunderbolt, and a weird non-standard USB-C fast charging voltage. The bundled charger has USB-C shaped sockets and cord, but the voltage and current are unique across the MacBook line. And this disagrees with the proper USB-C spec for power and voltage.

Third party products that were designed and specified with only that original slim MacBook as reference are now offside in terms of USB-C compatibility with the more recent 'full size, full power' MacBook Pro. Both the 13 and 15 inch models.

Even Apple's own MacBook 'one port' expansion adapter (HDMI, USB-A plus pass through USB-C power) is not rated for the full voltage and current of the big MacBook Pro USB-C chargers.

IIRC, the big iPad Pro, which can charge at 29 watt rate (or thereabouts) when powered by the slim MacBook USB-C power brick, can only charge at 12 watts using the 61 or 87 watt power brick from the big MacBook Pro USB-C wall chargers. Big iPad and slim MacBook were released about the same time, and caught in the same non-standard 'faster charge' scheme.

I am unaware of any third party chargers that can fast charge the big iPad and fully power a 15 inch 87 watt MacBook Pro.

I suspect Apple themselves are unhappy with how this USB-C power/charge thing has worked out.

Edited by K447 (29/05/2017 00:33)