Guys,
I know some of you have some experience installing Ubiquiti’s Unifi products. Since my old trusty Netgear R7000 was starting to give up the ghost I decided to invest in something more stable. So I bought a complete Ubiquiti Unifi setup, with a USG router, a POE 8-port 60W switch, a Cloud Key Gen2 Plus (which was cheaper than the non-plus version, oddly enough) and 3 NanoHD wireless AP’s. Finally great WiFi coverage throughout the entire house, yay! smile
Yesterday I set the whole thing up and even though it didn’t go as fast as a regular router (since Ubiquiti uses its own controller) the whole setup process was relatively painless.

I was surprised however at how hot the USG router, POE switch and Cloud Key ran. When I looked this up on the internet, temperatures more than 70°C (+/- 160 °F) are considered “within normal parameters” by Ubiquiti.

But somehow this doesn’t feel comfortable to me. I’m now in dubio whether I should only keep the Access Points and Cloud Key, return the router and switch and change them for something else (regular router with Tomato/dd-wrt or maybe even a PFSense box, and a POE switch from a different brand). But on the other hand, there’s something to be said for staying within the same ecosystem. Is it normal for POE switches to run very hot?

Is my concern justified or am I overreacting and should I best let things be as they are? I specifically chose a passively cooled switch because I don’t want any constant buzzing fan noise coming from my closet, but on the other hand this is the hottest I’ve ever known any passively cooled device to run.

What do you guys think?