Originally Posted By: Dignan
Originally Posted By: sn00p
Originally Posted By: Dignan
I've been working with Unifi equipment for about 6 years now, and haven't had many heat issues. I will say that the hottest Unifi devices I've interacted with are the NanoHD's that are out now. Personally, I'm not much of a fan. I have a client who asked to install those instead of the AC Pro models I'd proposed, and they're pretty darn hot. They also appear to be causing him some roaming problems I haven't seen with other AP models.

I just checked out my own home's Unifi equipment:
USG - ever so slightly warm (barely)
8 port POE switch - what I can only describe as pleasantly warm laugh
Cloud key - probably the warmest of the bunch but I don't have a problem with it

I haven't checked the AP (AC LR) but will tomorrow. The POE switch has two POE devices (CK and AP), and four other active ports. All of this is in a plastic structured media enclosure with vents but only passive cooling. But the only other stuff in the enclosure are the power bricks for the USG and switch, a splitter for the coax, and a small patch block for the ethernet.

Which USG? I've got a 3P and it runs hot, you wouldn't want to put your hand on it for long.

According to my dashboard I have the 3P as well. Not sure why mine is so much cooler than yours. I would imagine I'm not pushing as much through it. Sounds like your network is more complex than mine. I'm pretty simple with one switch and AP. I have the older cloud key but would like the newer one.

I'm glad to hear you're liking the cameras! What do you think of the resolution? It seems a little low for what you get on cameras at similar price points. Hikvision has 3-5MP cameras for the same cost. But I hate their DVRs.

No idea why it runs hot! Here's my topology.

I have 5 switches (4 x 8 port, 1 x 16 port), 4 access points, cloudkey Gen2 +, USG 3P and two G3 Pro cameras.

With the cameras I know you can get better for the money, but I like the integration, we already caught somebody trying to break into our car...literally 2 days after putting the camera up!

Edited by sn00p (31/05/2019 15:02)