Quote:
but going beyond 240GB or so is probably going to cause more memory issues.

Mark, thanks so much for this information. Can you elaborate on what memory issues will occur if a drive goes beyond 240GB? And how does that relate to using a two-disk configuration versus a one-disk configuration? In other words, two smaller disks less than 240GB each, versus one large disk of greater than 240GB? And also, would there be a difference if it were winchesters or if it were CF cards?

For the purposes of my question, I'm temporarily setting aside the issues with the song database and the number of tunes being indexed. For example, let's say that the drive was intended to be filled with FLAC files, which will be individually very large, so the user wouldn't likely hit the ceiling of the number of songs. Let's concern ourselves with the disks' ability to be recognized by the player, correctly built, and correctly store their files via emplode.

I'm asking because, in email, Mr_Maniacal was asking me about this, and I told him to hit up the experts on a BBS thread. smile My suggestion was to stick with a single disk configuration instead of going for dual drives, if possible. But if, say, a single 512GB CF card would be a problem, I'm interested to know what the issues would be.