Purely sem-informed speculation here: Larger drives require more kernel memory for bookkeeping and whatnot. And based on previous BBS discussions, I don't believe anyone has tried to go beyond a pair of 120GB drives yet, mainly because larger ones probably weren't affordable before now. smile

A would expect a single larger drive would be easier on RAM than a pair of smaller drives, as only one mount point and associated data structures would need to be maintained.

One will definitely need to format for 4096-byte block sizes as well, which my builder_v21 does NOT currently do. Some of the older bigdisk builders do it though, and I'm likely to update v21 with that feature at some point as well (currently still travelling).

For the player software, it's all about the number of tracks, not the individual track sizes. And I believe there's a hard limit of less than (approx) 60000 tracks due to FID numbering and bookkeeping.

We did cover all of this at one point, probably more than 10 years ago now! smile

Cheers