I didn't set up the tags right. :-P Even if I did, It's taken me considerable time to rip the music and encode it. The empeg is the sole repository of that, so a backup and restore utility is still needed.

OK, so for arguments sake here is what I would do if I was in that situation....

1. Use ftp to copy all of the fids (mp3 and data) from the empeg.
2. Write a perl script to parse the data fids and apply the data to ID3 tags in the mp3s. This is pretty easy to do since the data and music fids are named the same except for one digit. There are a few perl modules that make id3 tagging from a perl script trivial.
3. Use one of the many existing "tag and rename" programs to rename all of the mp3s based on the tag info you just added.

You now have a copy of what is on your empeg with all of the ID3 tags appropriately set. From now on whenever you add a new mp3 make sure it is tagged appropriately and add it to the empeg and your new mp3 archive on your computer so you don't have to do this again. The perl script for this is easy to write, I already have one that I use for tagging my mp3s that has 90% of the needed functionality. But, this is not a process that your average user is going to be comfortable with which is why everyone tells new empeg owners to spend a lot of time setting up their tags.

-Mike