Okay, I invesstigated the VNC protocol a little more, and I don't really think that it would take up that much CPU. I haven't really thought it the whol way through, but it seems to me that, while VNC has a lot of features, those features wouldn't end up being used on the empeg, and could just be hard-coded. And as far as the control mechanism goes, VNC obviously supports mouse-click input from the client. It would be simple to just include the buttons as additional information in the server, and interpret the input from there. I understand your problem with VNC, as it is a little heavyweight, but using a standard that already exists is usually a good idea, and I think that it is in this case, especially since there are clients for pretty much every platform you could shake a stick at. Even Palm. There are other problems, as well, though, such as that VNC doesn't currently support depths of less than 8 bits, to name just one.

I'll take a look at getting something happening, probably tomorrow. If you could let me know what you think the best way to get the screen data is, I'd appreciate it. If VNC turns out to be too heavyweight, which it may well be, I'll take a look at something else. Maybe reverse engineer DisplayServer, or maybe not.