Incidently, I liked this functionality so much (streaming of tunes from the Empeg) that I wrote an app to do the same thing from the BACKUP of all the fids on the player, so I don't have to hook up my player anymore and I can stream songs or playlists from my workstation/webserver. If anybody is interested, here are the details.

I have all the fids backed up on my webserver. I used CSV exported file, which I then imported into MySQL to use as an index of all the playlists, tune info, etc.

I wrote a few PHP templates that allow you to browse the playlist structures as they exist on the player (or at least, when the CSV data was mined), and then play (stream) or download the tune.

Though the FIDS file names are their hex values, I'm generating file names on the fly when you select download to something more friendly ([Artist] - [Album] - [tracknr] - [Title].mp3).

When you select to play a playlist, a m3u file is generated on the fly along with extended info (so Winamp will display all song titles in the playlist).

I did wrote the app b/c I liked Frank's DS functionality so much, I wanted to be able to use it all of the time, without having to hook up my player. It's got some drawbacks, b/c it kinda piggy backs off the player's database and structure, and when I change this on my player it makes things a pain to keep synched with my app. Other than that, it's quite a nifty little mp3 server app.

If anybody wants to see it let me know.