I understand all of your concerns with using VNC, and they're all valid. But I'm pigheaded and I'm going to try it that way first, anyway. If it doesn't work, it should be easy to replace all the VNC with a custom protocol (whether it be mine or DisplayServer's). I've installed that tiny VNC server on my empeg, and it runs fine. In fact, it runs pretty fast, even with the player going at the same time. Then again, I didn't have the outputs of the player hooked up to make sure it was doing fine.

I've never seen DisplayServer, either, so I'm not sure of all its features. As someone said, it does also stream music, but that appears to have been separate from the remote screen viewer and control. I'm not sure how well the streamer would work these days, since we can no longer guarantee that the source will be in MP3 format. (I'm making assumptions about how DS's streaming worked.) I think the only way to make it work flawlessly these days would be for it to transcode WAVs and WMAs, since I doubt that most (any?) streaming clients can handle switching formats, since many (most?) can't handle switching MP3 bitrates. Anyway, that's all beside the point, since I don't intend to work on that part. At least not right now.