So are you saying that HP's ink cartidges are more reliable than Epson's ink cartridges or that the printers themselves are better?

Yes.

99% of an inkjet printer is the printhead. HP replaces that printhead with every cartridge (which we take advantage of, in re-mans and refills). The Printer itself is just a carrier with a little logic added.

From a reliability standpoint, QA and customer service hears very little from HP users, but the epson's are all over the place, in spite of the fact that we sell far more HP's than Epson. Based on my talks with some of our customers and suppliers, It's pretty much that way across the board.

I hate to say it. I really do, as I really don't like HP at all as a company. But it is the better product, IMHO. Better print quality (which is really marginal at the higher end printers) doesn't help much when you can't print.

Price wise, I think ALL of the OEM's rip the customer pretty bad (but what did you expect me to say?) At least with HP, you're getting a new printhead AND ink, instead of just ink... But remember, ALL of the OEM manufacturers give away their printers to make money on the ink... It's the old Razor/blades scheme.