Interesting, every drummer I've met always expresses nothing but respect and admiration for Neil. I've haven't met any drummers who've said anything bad about him.

As far as the "soul-less-ness" comment, I can understand where they're coming from, but I think it's more to do with the musical style of the band as a whole than the drumming specifically. In order to hear the soul in their playing, you've got to be in tune with what they're doing musically. It definitely comes from a bit of a different place than most other music. Those I've met who don't like Rush tend to prefer more "earthy" music, and consider Rush (as a band) to be rather cold and analytical. I don't disagree with them, I totally understand where they're coming from. It's just that I find the soul in Rush's music on a different level than I find it in other music.

And I will say this: As much as I like Rush, and as much as I adore Neil's playing, I think I'd rather have Manu Katche' in my band than Neil Peart. For all of those same reasons: He's more earthy, but no less of a brilliant technician.