I have got a new version of displayserver
Due to some events (Sinterklaas is in the country) I am releasing a little later than promised.
It's got the following extra features :
- playlist browsing in your web-browser
- streaming of MP3-files through M3U files.
- authentication
- System status
- variable size bitmap for applet background

It's still rather buggy, so when you find something unusual, please let me know and I get into it.
Installation is done through a single install-script (install.sh.gz) which can be downloaded from http://empeg.dyndns.org/empeg/displayserver_with_ir.1.1
I saw the jempeg install-script, (which reminded me a lot of the old sun-package format) and decided to make something similar.
I added an autostart feature in the install script ( on userrequest ), but I haven't tested it thorougly. It renames the original /sbin/init executable to /sbin/init.before_displayserver and writes a shell script in init's place.
I haven't got a clean empeg, so maybe someone who isn't afraid of reinstalling an image could try it, others should not use this option till positive responses are received.

The kernel-patch was also rewritten as it was just pure luck the old hack did work (some stupid programming mistakes). For some strange reason the messed-up display after reboot also disappeared.

Anyway, try it and let me know what you think...

Frank van Gestel