How can I manage a software developer when I have no knowledge of the commercial software development process? That's the bottom line, you can skip the rest.

I have an idea for an Android app which is in demand and doesn't exist, so I want to create it as soon as possible. But, I know nothing about app development; only college-level Computer Science programming. To get the job done, I need a software developer. But again, I know nothing about the commercial software development process or how to manage a software developer. I may also need a database / web guy; another field I know little about.

To the developers and project managers among us, can you recommend any resources which can teach me how to successfully complete this project? Do you have any experiences with small business software development / project management which could help me avoid making "the same old mistakes"?

At this point, all I have is a software design and fundamental programming knowledge. I wish that would be enough to drive the project, but I imagine a million pitfalls:

- Should I use a contracted developer who'd leave at project completion, leaving me nobody to maintain the code? Or hire a developer, requiring me to provide long-term work to fill their time?

- How do I motivate a developer to be as dedicated to the project as I am? How can I reward them for their work?

- I don't know any of the industry best-practices and methods for development which a hired/contract coder may expect to be in place.

- How do I confirm the quality and security of their code?

- How do I secure the code and ideas from being leaked in a "work from home" telecommuting virtual workplace?

- Is there any reason to open source it? I'd like to use existing open source components, but what are the implications (security, stability, etc)?

- Is it even profitable to make mobile apps? Android first for quicker return on investment, then iPhone and pray I get into the app store.

This project is so exciting to me. I want it like I wanted empeg lit buttons, and other people want/need it too. I know I could learn the Android coding, database and web technologies enough to do this entirely myself, but that's just silly. I appreciate any advice you can provide to help me manage employees/contractors on this project. Thanks!!