In reply to:

The player software shouldn't be modifying files (except when doing a sync, of course).

If the player isn't modifying anything on the OS side, then how is it setting the time for the OS when I set the time in the player settings?

Basically what i'd like to see (if possible) is the ability to set my timezone in the player software, set the time,and have the player software and the OS time be in sync.

I can tell that right now when setting the time in the empeg settings, the time is getting changed both in the player software and the OS side. I check this by telnetting in and creating a dir and looking at the time it was created. This time is getting set by the player settings, but since the player is using EST and the OS apparently is not, the time is 5 hours off. Unless I set the player TZ to be Universal in which case both are in sync. But as someone else said, this won't account for DST and I think minor other problems down the road.

This will also help with the TTS-clock in it's current state as it is pulling the time from the OS, not the player software. I also think if we are going to pursue further userland apps that will be running on the OS(GPS), the OS time/ZT being in sync with the player software might become more crucial.