In reply to:

I'm sure not pretty things will happen if you throw a frozen bird in one of the fryers. Intense heat + intense cold == not good usually.

I heard a story about someone who once worked at a KFC or similar fast food outlet, who decided when they got bored to toss some ice cubes (from the ice dispenser) into the deep fryer when the fat was all nice and hot to see what would happen.

Apparently, so I was told, nothing happened at first, then after a short (not sure how long) time, the whole fryer began to boil and rumble which got louder and more intense, then the whole fryer load of hot fat erupted and exploded into the ceiling and coated everything around the place with a layer of nice hot fat.

Not sure if it caused a fire, but the fire alarms were triggered, and maybe the sprinklers.

And the whole deep fryer was ruined - something like $40,000 dollars worth of damage all told.

Not sure what happened to the guy who tossed the ice cubes into the fryer - I'd guess he's not working there anymore - if hes lucky, if he's unlucky he probably had years of plastic surgery ahead.

Like I said I only heard this third hand, but adding water/ice to hot fat is generally a recipe for disaster.