I think I was one of the lucky ones that got the wrong serial cable so I have not been able to test Version 1.

What kind of a computer geek are you, that you don't have extra null-modem cables lying around the house?

I would think that if 12c didn't work consumer 1 wouldn't change anything.

Just as Hugo re-iterated, the point isn't to upgrade the software, it's to install a proper image onto a possibly-blank hard disk. The idea that the hard disk might be blank was just a guess, though. It might not be what's wrong.

Which is why you should check the bootup text with Hyperterminal first. It would tell us where in the boot process the failure is occurring so that Hugo/Rob/Mike can give proper advice. I mean, the unit's obviously DOA, so the proper advice is to send it back. But what we're trying to do is see if it's something simple (like a blank hard disk) so that you can correct it yourself. You've waited a year for this thing already, and now that it's in your hands, you'd probably prefer an option that allows you to fix it without any additional wait. And if it's a simple thing like a blank hard disk, then the fix is very simple.

See if you can scrounge a proper null-modem cable (from work or from a friend or something), then look at the bootup text.