Stating my biases up front, I've always been a big fan of Babylon 5, among other reasons, because it's (almost) always had good writing, strong characters, and never pandered to the need to "sex up" outer space (and yet still had its share of sexy scenes...). JMS, the producer/writer/creator of B5 has written extensively on the net about the "notes" he's gotten from higher-ups trying to dumb down his shows (recently, both Crusade and Jeremiah got such notes). He quit Jeremiah rather than compromise his vision of the show.

Now, we return your attention to UPN and Fox. Will UPN management ever allow there to be a quality program like B5 or Firefly? It's debatable. Fox scuttled Firefly, for all the same reasons that I could see UPN not understanding it. Given the amazing hash that the Trek writers have made of the Trek continuity, it would take not only the firing of Berman, Braga, and their cronies, but it would also take clueful management to hire a good writer who can be trusted to rebuild a better Trek and jettison all the cruft. Is UPN going to stick its neck that far out? I really doubt it. I'd rather they put the Trek franchise to bed for a decade or two and let somebody else resurrect it later.