You owe it to yourself to at least watch the rest of that season. It plays out more after that episode, in ways that I think you'll like. And for reasons that they talk about in that episode.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't think it was as big a disappointment as you do. At the same time, I don't think that knowing that it would have been picked up for another season would have changed the ending of that storyline significantly. It was obviously what he intended to do. The fact that it pissed you off so much obviously means that he didn't do his job properly, though.

Let me ask you, what would have been a more appropriate ending? For there to have been a big space battle that resulted in the rout of the Old Ones? A big battle followed by the psychobabble that you hated? I suppose we could go with the idea that the bad guys end up winning and the human race is marginalized.

It just seems to me that there had to be some ultimate resolution, not just another thousand-year delay, and that it couldn't be as a direct result of human influence. He may have written himself into a corner, but I don't see a better way out. Honestly, though, given his source material, I can see his choice, and I don't think that he unintentionally wrote himself into a corner.