I've known about Gibson's dad for quite some time. He's a well established Nazi apologist. I think he's just a nut and that it doesn't reflect on his son, but the fact that he is remains the same.
Caiaphas
Okay, I totally got confused here. It's not qualms, rather, but the idea that he's doing it for the good of the Jewish nation. Apaprently this line doesn't appear in the movie:
Then one of them, named Caiaphas, who was high priest that year, spoke up, "You know nothing at all! You do not realize that it is better for you that one man die for the people than that the whole nation perish."

He did not say this on his own, but as high priest that year he prophesied that Jesus would die for the Jewish nation, and not only for that nation but also for the scattered children of God, to bring them together and make them one. (John 11:49-52)
I suppose it's possible that I'm misrepresenting that quote, and I've not seen the movie (yet).
I think "conflicted" would be a better word. The Bible is the only historical source we have on the matter, and it has stood up resoundingly to historical scrutiny over the years. Do I think Pilate had people executed on a whim? Sure. Do I believe it's possible he didn't at times? Sure.
By Flavius Josephus' and Philo's accounts, he was supposedly terribly ruthless in general, often condemning people without trials of any nature. In fact, he was apparently recalled to Rome because he killed too many people. That he would get all weepy over this one Jew seems unlikely.
I'm no theologian, but I know the Bible pretty well, and I didn't see any.
I think you misunderstood my point because you made it for me. There are Jewish trila scenes in the movie not in the Bible. Or maybe I misunderstand what you're saying. But, again, I haven't seen the movie yet and don't know that there are.

I'm not trying to prove that the movie is anti-semitic. I doubt that it is, intentionally, at any rate. I was just pointing out some oddities that I heard that seem to support that idea.

Edited by wfaulk (26/02/2004 14:43)