No! You are not crazy.

This EMS&P is what I know use instead of the VNC. In addition to a change in aesthetics (I now use margins ) There are many other differences, all of which stem from where the "state" of things is maintained. In VNC, the client is just a viewer of what is happening in the server machine. The client sends keystrokes and mousemoves for the server to interpret and do stuff with. EMS&P uses the Empeg as a music database and as a sound card of sorts (or WinAmp if you are streaming). All state is maintained by EMS&P. It is EMS&P that maintains the running order; enqueing, inserting, replacing, searching, etc. The menu interaction is based on information contained in EMS&P, so it can present nice menus with extra large characters that are not scaled bitmaps of what the Empeg would show. (For some reason I can't capture the screens when showing the menus, would appreciate any help on how to do that...)

EMS&P actually has running order manipulation features that are not present in the Empeg, such as "No more songs like next one...". What is completely different is the search facility, which can do so by searching for matches inside strings, not just at the beginning. Unfortunately, the screen shots of the searching windows are at the end of the web page, so you may have not gotten to see them.

Chances are that if you like the Empeg, you'll like this thing as your desktop music player. At least if you like the Empeg for the reasons I like it, which relate to how I can dynamically choose the music I listen to. If you're into visuals and those kinds of things, then EMS&P is not there yet...

Edit: the VNC mentioned here (http://strobos.cee.vt.edu/EmpegVNC) is one where the state is transfered from the server to the client as information, rather than screen copies. But of course, this could only be done for some things, not the menu interaction.

Edited by jules (13/04/2004 17:16)