The DHCP request the DAR makes does not include a Parameter Request List. Therefore, the DHCP RFC makes clear that the DHCP server is pretty much able to return whatever parameters it feels like. The Win2K DHCP server doesn't choose to return the table of routers. I can't find a way to force the Win2K DHCP server to return unrequested data in the options field of the DHCP message. The recommended fix for this situation is for the client to add a Parameter Request list.

I don't know much about the code in the client; I'm a Win32 coder, I don't know much Linux. However, I believe that the DHCP request is in the boot code in ROM, and so can't be touched. Can anyone suggest a work around to this? Not running the Win2K DHCP server isn't an option; I have to maintain the Win2K domain. Is there a way to get the trio client to make a different kind of broadcast? Perhaps do another DHCP request, this time including the Options Request List? Anyone have any suggestions. I'm willing to do a lot to get this working, but as I said, I'm not a Linux coder.

Oh, by the way, I find the scrolling display to be probably even cooler than the syncronized music. I use a homebrew music server because I have a lot of classical music in my collection and so make a lot of use of the ID3v2 fields "composer" and "conductor". Another effect of having lots of classical music is that my track names tend to be VERY long, like "Concerto for Flute, Harp, and Orchestra 'Pastorale': Movement 2: Andantino", and stuff is constantly too long to read on the DAR.