I am looking into creating my own empeg sync process - unfortunately mp3tofid doesn't quite fit the bill. But I am in need of info about the file formats and hope someone can help with some advice.

Is there somewhere I can find full and precise details of these formats?

Failing that:-

Does the tags ('1') file for a track HAVE to include all the tag info (my files have some different lines to what I've read elsewhere) and is the order important? e.g. is 'offset' necessary? The Rio Receiver defines this as a possible tag, but it is not supplied and hence is not required, but what about the RioCar (empeg)?

Likewise for a playlist tags file. If there is no appropriate artist etc, can this be simply left out?

What is the structure of the actual playlist ('0') file? It is not ascii (as are all the tags files). Are these stored in binary format? Any special requirements?

How can I create the /var/tags, playlists and database files?

tags appears to be ascii, but with a lot of blank lines. Do I need to touch this at all?

The database and playlists files appear to be binary, would they be dbm files by any chance (hope so:-). If not what?

Can anyone suggest how I can appropriately split the files across the 2 drives? Whatever method I use I need to be able to repeat the same split so that rsync will work efficiently. I thought I'd create 2 separate local fids dirs and simply rsync them, but what would make sense in deciding into which fids dir each file should be placed? I have some ideas, but hoped for some independent input.

Any help with this would be much appreciated?