Quote:
Quote:
BTW, I had thought of using the fids subdirs that Mark Lord makes use of for fidsift, but am I right in thinking that this only offers speed improvements in rebuilding the database? So if I do that on the server, there's no gain with using subdirs.

The fids subdirs have a substantial, measurable impact (positive) on any and all operations dealing with the playlists, tracks, and tags files. They will help rsync as much as they help the internal database rebuild.

Many of us have 10000-20000 tracks on our players, for a total of perhaps 20000 to 40000 inodes in the /fids/ heirarchy. When those are all in a single directory, the clunky sequential search directory lookup mechanism (in the kernel) is very very slow, even just to play a selected track.

The fids subdirs really should be there by default in all software that accesses that data.

Cheers

I have about 13,000 songs/tunes/tracks at present so that applies to me. If you say it will impact on other activity (which you're right, is to be expected) then it makes sense to use the subdirs. So I will.

Thanks for the quick reply.