I want to finish this RioCar sync part of the project and get it all tidied up then make it generally available to anyone who wants. You're not in a rush are you?

My XML parsing is all my code - I don't use any other modules as I had very precise requirements for what it did. In fact these have changed slightly and become a bit more general, but I've already done it so pointless going back.

I originally ran the Rio Receivers on the ARM software, but have now moved to tRio which offers greater possibilities. Had to sort out a few glitches due to tRio doing some things slightly differently and Paul (tRio's author) sorted a couple of issues and so my system can now run with either Reciever player software.

With regard to the /var/??? files - it makes sense to me that I create them at the server end and then rsync the whole lot. Building the playlists and database doesn't look that hard and the tags file can be left as is I think.

I'll post back here when I have some results, may be a little while as I want to get another RioCar running to do the testing on and need a new HD for that.

BTW, I had thought of using the fids subdirs that Mark Lord makes use of for fidsift, but am I right in thinking that this only offers speed improvements in rebuilding the database? So if I do that on the server, there's no gain with using subdirs.

Can anyone comment on this?