Quote:
HD Ready

Ah! Marketing speak bellowing like mastodoms across primaeval swamps! For the last few years it's been "Freeview" ready (Which loosely interpreted means: It's got a scart socket), but the suits need a new handle to boost sales. Yet the manufacturers seem very slow on the uptake, go in to Dixons, Currys or Comet and ask to see the freeview TV's and you'll not find much 'till very recently - come to think of it, ask the assistant to explain HD and you'll not learn much!! - And DAB has been equally slow on the uptake, but that's probably also the broadcasters fault for not knowing what to do with it: Freeview and FM are still the quality ways to hear radio in the UK.

I read one of the retailers trumpeting that recordable DVD sales had overtaken VHS tape sales, and yet, I'm prepared to bet that if I went in to any community, half to two thirds of viewers use VHS.
What it means is that tape sales have reached saturation, because people have been buying the things for years, but recordable DVD's are quite new and people are still going towards an optimum level for their needs. My point being that half to two thirds aren't bothered about recordable DVD's any more than they are about: Freeview (Until the government forces them), DAB or HD.
I'm probably putting myself up to be knocked down here, but I can't see that I'll be going the HD route, maybe if I watched a lot of feature films, not that I've had an objective opportunity to compare. I thought the guy from Samsung on the news in the week, comparing the difference as being as dramatic as moving from B/W to colo(u)r, was pushing it a bit!
As for your £150 HDMI lead, threads about, what I describe as, the emporer's invisible cloak have surfaced again recently. Suffice to say that a long, 5M, DVI is about £20 in Farnells and I'll take some convincing that I need to pay more.