hi all,

I have been aware of linux for some years, though i've never looked at it, or into why it is considered better, I'm not a techy minded computer user, so have no idea what it can do for me, if anything,

i understand i can partition my disk (1 of 2 in a raid set-up) and run it simultaneously with windows, but why would i want to, or need to?

i'm told the empeg uses linux, and part of it's appeal is the ability for techy minded people to dabble with it's frimware, but why did it use linux over any other kind of OS in the first place?

i'm keen to learn more about computers and OS's in general, for no other reason than i'm getting a little bored with the pc and not being able to remmedy what are probably simple problems when they occur, not to mention it would help me understand what you lot are talking about!!!

i now have a good pc (gigbyte motherboard, Q6600 quad core processors, 3 gig ram, 320gb hd raid drives, nvidea GeForce 8500GT graphics, etc etc, running xp-pro), it does all i need, very quickly, and for the most part, very reliably, but I still have little idea on how to get the best from it.

ta.
Hugh

Edited by crazyplums (14/10/2008 19:06)