I think I first used Linux in either '94 or '95. It was back when Slackware was the defacto distribution, the kernel was at something like 0.74 (I think) and the only way to install it was following the guide by Matt (Welsch or something?). Some things are (or were) just easier in Linux. Some things are not. There is a level of frustration that can be had with any operating system. When things just work, it is awesome. When things don't just work, it is the exact opposite of awesome smile If you are lucky, you can fix it in Linux faster/easier than in Windows. As a member of this community, we are extremely lucky to have the membership we do.

Right now, my biggest complaint about Linux is the lack of direction. You have all these people doing great things, but they are just scattered all over the map. There seems to be massive steps backwards in some releases. One of the big things people promote about Linux is the security, then somebody goes and makes it so in Fedora 9 you can't hide the list of users from the login screen. Something like that is just baffling. Reading on the forums it looks like it was a personal agenda thing, preparing for 10 instead of keeping security in mind all the way through.

I have a few simulation packages that only run on Linux. Since a few of them are only provided with binaries, I can't just do a simple recompile to match my system. That would be too easy. Instead, I have to do all kinds of goofy stuff to try to get them to run on the distribution the others are using.

I've had more problems with lib hell than I ever had with dll hell. Go figure.

Some of the things in Linux are phenomenal though. The file command has saved me so many times, the latest when a new version of a sim wouldn't run because it couldn't execute a file. Turns out the file was a tar, just without the extension so it looked like the executable.

I suggest you do try it. While it isn't all funs and grins, it can be really useful. Just a piece of advice, when you do try it - never, ever use your hard drive as a decoding device for a mp3 laugh