Originally Posted By: robricc
I would actually love to hand my grandmother something like gOS.

See, now this is the very thing I'm talking about...

I thought I'd try out gOS because it was easy to just throw it onto a fresh VM. It installed cleanly and quickly, and came up with a very pretty screen full of gadgets just like in the screen shot.

Within 20 seconds, I run into a stumper.

There's a little "Sno-globe" weather applet in the center of the screen. It's showing me the weather for Austin TX in Celsius. I open up its options panel and try to change it to Seattle WA in Fahrenheit. It appears to take the settings OK, I press the OK button. Thing still says Austin, TX, in Celsius. No matter how many times I open up that preferences panel, it's still showing the wrong city and the wrong temperature scale.

Clearly this one thing isn't representative of all-things-linux (it's not even part of the operating system), I'm just saying it's the *sort* of thing that happens all the time every time I try to use a linux distro. It's a tiny little fit-n-finish issue, not a major deal breaker for the OS in general. But I see lots of tiny little inconsistencies like that all the time. It's why a monolithic company like Microsoft or Apple will always do better in the Desktop OS realm, because they have the manpower to do the extra polishing work to iron out that kind of thing.