I thought I'd relegate Flash to its own thread. It doesn't currently pollute the iPhone nor iPad, so why should it pollute threads about those devices?

This sweet bit of information from ARM VP, Ian Drew, about the delays with their push into a Smartbook category:

Quote:

"We thought [smartbooks] would be launched by now, but they're not," Drew told ZDNet UK on Tuesday. "I think one reason is to do with software maturity. We've seen things like Adobe slip — we'd originally scheduled for something like 2009."

ARM and Adobe signed a partnership in late 2008 that was intended to see Flash Player 10 and Air — both rich web platforms — optimised for ARM-based systems. That work is only likely to come to fruition in the second half of this year, when an optimised version of Flash comes out for Android smartphones. As Apple's Steve Jobs recently pointed out, Flash was originally supposed to ship for smartphones in early 2009.

"Our target is mostly internet machines — it becomes sort of a requirement that they run the internet," Drew said. "[The delay in optimising] Flash has stalled it".

This is what happens when you put your eggs in someone else's basket. Someone who ultimately has different goals the you do.

When Apple acquires Adobe, we may see Flash on their "i" platforms.