I don't want to get started on another Flash is not the web rant, so I'll try really hard not to.

My comment was directed toward video streaming. If sites have non-flash alternatives in place, then I'd like to be able to use them on the desktop as well. I've seen sites that default to HTML5 video on a mobile product that then default to Flash on the desktop - with no option to change that. I don't keep flash enabled on my notebook. I have to click on a placeholder to fire up flash on an object by object basis (or override the blocker for that site).

I also think it's super-lazy and poor design to include embedded Flash video on the main page of a blog instead of an image attached to particular story. If you want people to be able to play the video on the front page, then throw in some javascript as well to swap out a static image for the flash content. At least that way everyone, whether Flash is enabled or available can see the image. And if they can enable flash they can then decide whether or no to do that. One super-guilty site is The Unofficial Apple Weblog - bloody annoying.

As a web designer, with today's landscape, I think it's silly to develop a site in Flash. I mean, Flash is fine if you wanted your "site" to run standalone outside a browser or in a kiosk environment, but it just limits your exposure tremendously. The web seems very divided over Flash, and that's on top of a large number of devices not supporting it. Just not something I'd ever do, even if I personally didn't object to Flash. As it stands, I won't use it in web design, even if someone asks me to add a Flash feature to their site.