Looks like the N900 runs Flash 9.4, whatever that version means. The "Open Screen Alliance" is about bringing Flash 10.1 to mobile devices, and was the runtime in use during that presentation. I wonder why Hulu didn't work, since thats a big reason US based users want Flash on their mobile devices.

Out of curiosity, does the N900 work with BBC's iPlayer, using the Flash player on the web site and not the 3GP streams?

As for the too proprietary comments out of Apple, I'm assuming they mean the inability to make their own Flash player and open source it, though I've not seen concrete evidence either way here. As pointed out in other threads, the specs seem to be available for most of the pieces, but I'm not certain if it's possible to create a fully 10.1 compatible player. Nor have I found any info on if Adobe is being open about the upcoming Flash 11 specification to allow a player to support it.

The not suitable for mobile mostly comes from battery life issues. Take for example the Anandtech benchmarks on the recent laptops from Apple. The first one is browsing to sites with no flash in Safari to a new page every 20 seconds with iTunes playing. The second one is the same condition, but with 1-4 animated flash banner ads on each page.

Using the Core i5 system, Flash will kill nearly 2.5 hours of battery life with just basic banner ads, when running on OS X on x86. If Adobe can't optimize Flash for OS X running on the same CPU instruction set Windows does, then I can understand Apple not expecting anything different on the iPhone when it uses the same APIs, but for ARM.

Edited by drakino (10/05/2010 22:53)
Edit Reason: clarified last point