I used to be a big Adobe fan and supporter, much more so than I've ever been an Apple fan. This (what I'm talking about in the previous post) has nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with Adobe. I'm not arguing whether it's wrong or right for Apple to do what it's doing with its platform. I'm dismayed/disappointed/pissed at Adobe making this into a PR campaign.

I'm an Adobe customer and as such I'm pissed off they don't just shut the fuck up and get back to work to make their tools better. Their pro tools carry large upgrade fees, yet they're still slow and buggy as hell. They don't follow platform UI guidelines and they still, after close to a decade of being bundled, don't work well together.

BTW, the analogy of the bat doesn't hold water. You can do whatever you want with your iPad - Apple have never told consumers what they can and can't do with a device.

The MLB restricts which bats are allowed into Major League games. The F1 restricts which tires and materials constructors can use. Etc. etc. etc. What Apple is doing is not new and it's certainly not worthy of all the news and attention it's been getting.

I don't like Apple having as heavy a hand with the app approval process. At the end of the day however, the best apps are going to be built using Cocoa, even if there were no restrictions on wrappers and cross-development frameworks. And as far as the web goes, every single major site on the web has, is now, or will be, moving away from Flash for at least mobile access. Adobe can see the primary reason for the Macromedia acquisition slipping into irrelevance. That's a big expensive pill to flush down the toilet. They certainly didn't acquire Macromedia just to add Dreamweaver to their CS bundle.

This whole issue isn't going to end well for Adobe. That was already clear back in 2007.

Edited by hybrid8 (13/05/2010 16:33)