Originally Posted By: hybrid8
One thing I do want is an equal footing for desktop systems that don't want to run Flash.

Why? Flash is just another alternative for delivering web content. If programmers can use it to make better sites, then why limit their options? If they end up delivering crappy sites because Flash is crappy, then the customers will voice their opinions and use sites that deliver a better product. But that's a different thing than taking the option away altogether.

I'd rather have multiple options for developing rich web content- competition drives everyone to step up their game. As I've mentioned before, we are using Silverlight and it is just awesome. The XAML approach to writing software, whether web or desktop, is very powerful. It was designed from the ground up with writing applications in mind (unlike HTML, which was designed for presentation, causing us to wrestle with it for years as we try to deliver decent web applications). Now I know it isn't all about making my life as a developer easier, and I sure want to deliver what is best for the customer, but the better tools I have the faster and better I'll be able to build software.

I'd love to see a web where flash, HTML5, and Silverlight are all solid options for web development depending on your needs or preferences. The customer would only benefit from this, as these three technologies (and maybe even more) would compete to offer more features.