Originally Posted By: gbeer
I don't think I'd have been too bothered by your ex roomies behavior.

I understand it isn't my thing, but it was just too much that early in the morning. It just reeked!

Quote:
Leaving that film is how the seasoning gets improved over time. Nor are cast iron skillets expected to remain pristine the way they came from the store.

I never expected them to be pristine, I expected to not have to scrape stuff off of it. It seems like no matter what I cook in it, I'm always left with charred food glued to the skillet. I remove it, but then it seems like it's lost whatever nonstick properties it's built up so far (if any), and I need to re-season it.

Basically what I'm saying is that it seems like in order to make cast iron truly non-stick is to cook many meals in it. But cooking anything in it reduces the non-stick nature of it. Now I'm trapped in this circle and I don't know how to get further! smile It's very frustrating...

Quote:
Long as there wasn't a sign of food stuck to the pan, or the remaining film was not sticky or easily transferred to other places, it's fine.

And that's the thing, there's always food stuck to it. I've rarely if ever seen food NOT stick to it.

Quote:
Skillets like this are for frying food, they get hot enough to sterilize whatever you might worry about.

I'm perfectly fine with this, as long as I can cook with the skillets and get them into reasonable shape to cook with them again. The problem is I can't seem to do that.

Question: what should I season them with? I want to start from scratch and do this right. The one stipulation (and what might be part of the problem) is that it has to be vegetarian. My wife is pescetarian so I can't cook any fats in the skillets which might(?) help make them non-stick.