Originally Posted By: Robotic
And my last tid-bit of input on the whole subject is related to how to clean off the nasty caked-on carbon build-up of decades of abuse (say you got an old pan from a boot sale). Get out a blow-torch and heat the pan evenly to a cherry red- burning off everything that can't be otherwise cleared away. Never tried this method- probably too radical for practicality.

I think if I had to go to the trouble of renting a blow-torch (assuming I don't have one), I'd just toss the pan. One of the greatest features of cast iron is that it's so damn cheap, even brand new. Plus, you usually see dirt-cheap pans at garage sales that look terrible but will be like new after a run through a liquid-hot oven.

Originally Posted By: DWallach
For my cast iron skillets (now in several sizes!), I always do the same thing. Cook with them as normal. Clean in the sink with Dawn...

This surprises me. The one consistent thing I've read is to not use detergents...

Quote:
If I feel the seasoning is lacking, I'll cook up some bacon. ...you can brush on a thin layer of bacon grease...

Yeah, I have no doubt this would work, and is probably a reason that our pan isn't that non-stick, but since my wife doesn't eat meat, it's a bit hard to do. Maybe Crisco would work?