Originally Posted By: hybrid8
Salt dispensers are found on machines with built-in automatic water softening. A number of brands make models with this feature.

Interesting. Didn't know about that. I don't believe ours has that, and if it does, I've never put it in there smile

Quote:
You could try running some vinegar through the next few loads to see if it helps to at least clean out your dishwasher.

That's one thing I kept seeing. I'll try that. One person said to put vinegar in an upright glass in the top rack.

Quote:
Have you noticed any difference based on what else you stack in the machine at the same time? Try not putting anything metallic at all into the next load.

We have very little variation between our loads at all. We put the same bowls in, the same eating/cooking utensils, the same everything, pretty much.

Quote:
Have you looked carefully at the package of detergent to see if its chemistry has changed since previous packages you may have bought? Phosphate versus phosphate free for instance?

That's another thing someone mentioned in my searches. I'm not sure how I'd tell if there were a difference. I'll check if it specifically says "phosphate-free." Someone mentioned that certain areas have insisted on selling phosphate-free detergent.

Quote:
Does you machine have any similar chalky or scale buildup? Around the heating element (if it's visible in your model), spray arms, etc.. Removed and/or cleaned the filter yet?

I haven't checked, but I do know the detergent dispenser, which is plastic, has the film. Unfortunately I can't tell where the filter is...